AIS provides highly qualified Protected Species Observers (also known as Marine Mammal Observers) for round the clock mitigation support aboard vessels completing both geophysical and geotechnical surveys, as well as shore side logistical and technical observer support throughout survey activities. We provide shift design, scheduling and management services. For low visibility work hours, AIS also provides Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM) services, supplying industry forward PAM equipment along with a fully trained Passive PAM team. Additionally, AIS also offers top of the line thermal imaging cameras for high definition low light visual monitoring in combination with proprietary software to enhance the mitigation process.
In addition to offering pre-project support, assisting with permit review, project planning, protected species identification training for crew and vessel personnel, and pre-deployment coordination, we also provide post-project support. AIS staff analyzes data and summarizes the results in final reports submitted to our clients and the government.
The primary purposes of the monitoring and mitigation effort are as follows:
- Visually inspect the exclusion zone prior to start of operations
- Continuously monitor the area for the presence of marine mammals in the vicinity of the survey area noting the species, number of animals, and behavior
- Ensure that BOEM/NMFS established exclusion zones are maintained
- Initiate mitigation measures in the event that marine mammals were sighted near or breached the safety radii
- Ensure that the proper zone clearance, ramp-up, shut down and power down procedures are followed
Previous G&G projects for which AIS provided the above services: